Deciding to go to graduate school is an important decision. If you decide to go to graduate school, don’t do it just because you don’t know what else to do. Reflect on your interests, goals, dreams and capabilities. Evaluate your talents, competencies and weaknesses.
Consider the following questions:
- Why do I want go to graduate school?
- What are my career goals? Will graduate school benefit me in achieving my career goals?
- What will I study? What are my interests? Do I need a master’s or doctoral degree?
- What graduate program is best? How competitive is the graduate program?
- Am I up for the challenge? What will motivate me for another two to seven years of school?
- What are my academic and personal qualities to ensure success?
There are both pros and cons for continuing your education. Seek information from multiple sources including Career Services counselors, your family, graduate students, and professors. Take your time and trust your judgment in making the best choice.
The following handout is a great starting point but you need to PLAN EARLY!