Disability Services is hiring for the fall 13’semester!
Job Announcement—Academic Skills Kit (ASK) Mentor
Overview: Disability Services is hiring students to serve as Academic Skills Kit (ASK) Mentors. ASK Mentors provide skill development assistance in the following areas: note taking skills, time management skills, organization skills, reading techniques, Livescribe Smartpen demonstrations, and test proctoring procedures. About 2/3 of this position is responsible for conducting one-on-one hour long study skill sessions with CU students who are registered with the Disability Service office and 1/3 of this position is responsible for tracking and assessing effectiveness and participation in the ASK service.
1. Provide one-on-one skill development assistance to CU students registered with the Disability Service office
2. Evaluate and recommend changes to improve the program
3. Work cooperatively with other Disability Service staff to ensure appropriate training and service delivery
4. Create and update forms, advertisements, and other written materials used in the ASK service each semester
5. Update and improve ASK Mentor training materials, as needed, with Disability Service staff
6. Assist with additional duties as deemed necessary by the supervisor
1. Current CU-Boulder junior/senior undergraduate or graduate student status
2. Must have work study award
3. Excellent time management and organization skills
4. Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
5. Excellent interpersonal skills
6. Excellent problem solving skills
7. Ability to work independently
8. GPA of a 3.0 or above
9. Maintain confidentiality
10. Sense of humor—what’s life without laughter? 🙂
1. Experience working with people with disabilities
2. Experience with public speaking, tutoring, or teaching
3. Minimum of a one year commitment to position
4. Experience with marketing (advertisements, flyers, brochures, social media, etc.)
5. Experience creating video, online, or other training materials
Salary: The salary for this position is $10.92/hour. ASK Mentors will be paid bi-weekly.
Hours: The ASK service provides 20 hours of open appointment times per week. The number of hours worked depends on the availability of each ASK Mentor. Hours are flexible but should be scheduled between 9:00am and 4:00pm Monday through Thursday. ASK Mentors will not work in June or July.
Start date: August 2013. Training will be provided and paid for.
Application procedure: To apply, email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “ASK Mentor Applicant” OR drop off all of the following information to the Disability Service office with attention to Jill Sieben- Schneider/ASK Mentor applicant.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Items needed to apply must include: a complete and comprehensive resume, fall 2013 course schedule, unofficial transcript, anticipated graduation date, and number of hours you would like to work. A cover letter is optional but encouraged. Interviews will begin in May and continue into the summer. Skype interviews can be conducted for those living out of state in the summer.